Communications/Technology Position Description
Reports to: Personnel through the Interim/Executive Presbyter
Direct Supervisor: Interim/Executive Presbyter
Position Type: Presbytery; Internal
Status: Part-time; 20 hours per week
Strengthens the relational networks among congregations and the witness of the presbytery through timely, creative, efficient and effective use of communication that reflects the mission and values of the Presbytery of Carlisle. Manages the information technology of the presbytery to ensure smooth operations and appropriate security.
- In collaboration with presbytery leaders, publishes the presbytery’s e-newsletter. Creates, produces, and distributes all communications of the presbytery.
- Serves as Presbytery webmaster, keeping the web-site content up-to-date, accurate, attractive, and user-friendly.
- Provides regular and relevant social media updates to expand and maintain interest and engagement among users.
- Works with the presbytery staff and monitors denominational and congregational communications to identify newsworthy information for inclusion presbytery communications.
- Maintains the multi-media and communications equipment, contracts, and leases of the presbytery and is knowledgeable in their use.
- Attends weekly presbytery staff meetings.
- Attends stated meetings of the presbytery (ordinarily 4 times/year): manages registration, handles posting of meeting materials. Creates and provides A/V tech. support for the meeting.
- Models use of current technology and provides A/V set-up and support for presbytery events, meetings, and functions. Serves as a resource to congregations regarding the use of technology and social media.
- Provides first-line technology support for office staff.
- Recommends upgrades to information technology systems as needed/appropriate.
- Recommends information technology standards, policies, and procedures; monitors compliance with policies as they are developed and approved.
- Provides guidance on the establishment of IT budget needs.
- Fulfills office management tasks, such as handling mail and email, ordering supplies, maintaining calendar and scheduling use of space.
- Maintains the presbytery database/on-line directory.
- Demonstrates alignment with the mission, values, and beliefs of Carlisle Presbytery.
- Excellent writing/editing/proofreading and verbal communication skills.
- Strong graphic design abilities with a high standard of creativity.
- Experience with web development and maintenance.
- Fluent and proficient with both Mac and Windows-compatible software for word processing, database creation, presentation, and web tools.
- Proficient in the use of current and emerging social media platforms for marketing, networking, promoting, resourcing and expanding the communications of the presbytery.
- Shows Initiative, good judgment and the ability to assume responsibilities both independent of, and in cooperation with the Stated Clerk and Interim/Executive Presbyter.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to multi-task and prioritize work with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and collegially with staff, ministry/committee members, and volunteers, including the development of congregational networks.
- Previous experience preferred, in developing and implementing communication strategies for a social service agency, non-profit organization or governing body of the PCUSA.
The Communications and Technology Specialist is supervised by the Interim/Executive Presbyter and is accountable to the Personnel Committee of Presbytery through the Interim/Executive Presbyter. The Communications and Technology Specialist is a member of the presbytery staff team, in service to the congregations and leaders of the presbytery.
The Interim/Executive Presbyter and a representative from the Personnel Committee will conduct a review and evaluation of the work of The Communications and Technology Specialist annually.