Executive Director Position Description
Reports to: Friends of PEB Board of Directors
Location: Out of home office
Status: Salaried with benefits
Friends of PEB exists to ensure a quality education for the poorest of the poor in the Punjab Province of Pakistan. We have operated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization since 2008, raising funds throughout the US to educate Pakistani children who might otherwise receive no schooling at all. Currently, there are nearly 6000 students in 25 schools managed by the Presbyterian Education Board (PEB) in Pakistan.
PEB was founded by Presbyterian missionaries in the 1850s. Children of all religious backgrounds are welcomed and together they develop core values including respect for others, tolerance, fairness and justice for all. Academically, the schools achieve excellent performance scores and graduates are prepared with the skills and knowledge they need for our 21st Century world.
The successful Executive Director will share our passion and mission focus and possess strong relational and leadership skills to guide, influence, and work collaboratively with others.
- Enhances the ministry of Friends of PEB, ensuring that staff, volunteer and financial resources are in place for success.
- Manages the organization’s Development Coordinator, Mission Representative, and contractors.
- Works in close partnership with the Board and its committees, providing leadership, vision, and hands-on support in the development, implementation, establishment, and evaluation of all fundraising efforts, programs, general operations policies, and procedures, and budgetary oversight.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization, increasing awareness of PEB throughout the U.S.
- Serve as lead strategist for fund development and marketing, developing and managing the revenue and marketing plan to achieve the organization’s growth strategy.
- Be active in all fund development efforts, including major gift solicitations and foundation, corporate, congregational, and individual requests for funding. The ED will be charged with growing a more robust planned giving program.
- Guide the Development Coordinator using an annual marketing plan and timeline, to ensure that social media and websites are up-to-date; newsletters are delivered; media campaigns are occurring, and face-to-face presentations are being given across the U.S.
- Plan and lead 2+ exploration trips per year to Pakistan with volunteers and donors, interfacing with U.S. government agencies as part of the trip coordination. Also, travel within the US, primarily to expand and steward donors (8 – 10 weeks per year).
- Lead implementation of FOPEB strategic plan; recommend policies and procedures; provide volunteer training; monitor regulations for 501(c)3 requirements and ensure preparation of 990s; manage staff, contractors and volunteers.
- Plan and lead board in strategic plan renewal activity and Annual 3-day Board Retreat.
- Identify, cultivate and steward relationships with key stakeholders, including major donors, church leaders, and PEB leadership and staff.
- Oversee creation of budget; practice cost containment; monitor reports, projections, revenue analysis, and the reconciliation of bank statements; approve and co-sign checks; manage contracts and service agreements; assure timely audits and tax returns; assemble information for external auditors; and send approved grant wire transfers to PEB in Pakistan, while managing and working with the contract bookkeeper and Treasurer.
- Support the Board of Directors, including meeting logistics; agenda creation; board development and recruitment; policymaking and oversight; strategic planning; preparation of monthly financial reports; and implementation of goals and objectives, keeping the Board aware of activities and needs pertinent to the organization’s operations, administration and development activities.
- Ensure that all activities, recordkeeping, reporting, and fundraising initiatives are consistent with Board policy and compliant with all applicable laws and ethical standards. Manages the facilitation of donations, including donor receipting and the acknowledgment process.
Qualifications: Education, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree minimum.
- 3-5+ years of success in a nonprofit management position; experience in a global mission-related organization is desired.
- Experience working with an actively engaged Board and volunteers.
- Able to work independently. Self-regulating with timely follow through on multiple tasks and goals. Ability to maintain confidentiality. An entrepreneurial spirit that recognizes and seizes opportunities.
- Available to participate in occasional early morning calls (Pakistan) and evening calls (board work).
- Experience in fundraising. Nationwide or international focus is desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills accompanied by strong professional presentation skills.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel as a minimum.
- Experience with customer or donor relationship management databases (CRM/DRM) would be ideal (FoPEB uses Little Green Light).
- Competency in nonprofit financial matters/budgets.
- Salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications/experience
- Professional development and training.
- Flexible work hours and a work-from-home environment.
We are seeking responses by November 30. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to our Search Committee by email only at EDSearch@friendsofpeb.org. No phone calls, please.